My Pre-Work Routine
Starting rituals are rituals that can be used to assist you in getting into the work zone and finding your flow. If you struggle to gain momentum and enter a state of flow when you sit down to work, I invite you to draw on several rituals that you can incorporate into the beginning of your sessions. While my favourite rituals include tea, lighting a candle, and popping on my noise cancelling headphones, there are numerous other quick and easy rituals you can try. Importantly, each one can be used to help prime you into a headspace for productive work, because once they become a habit, they act as a cue.
One piece of advice when selecting your starting rituals is to make sure they can be done both at home and in the office. You want your starting rituals to be portable and easily accessible regardless of where you work!
Here’s a look at my pre-work routine and how I incorporate starting rituals to build momentum and ease into a task without resistance:
- Brew an organic, loose-leaf tea
- Make myself a hot water bottle (at home) or heat pack (in the office) during the colder months
- Light a candle (at home), or apply a travel sized essential oil roller (for the office)
- Select a playlist and listen to music with my noise cancelling headphones
- Put on my reading glasses
- Set out my laptop and notepad
- Place my phone away
- Turn off the Wi-Fi connection (if I’m not using it, such as during a writing session
Are there any rituals you currently incorporate into your work sessions to enhance your productivity and help you enter a state of flow? Take inspiration from my list above and consider what type of rituals you can include to begin your work sessions.
Get your copy of 'Work-Life Balance Survival Guide' now!
(Also available through all leading book retailers)